Monday 31 May 2010

Eurovision.

Did you watch Eurovision this year? No? Just me then? I am not ashamed to say I rather enjoy Eurovision; it is so wonderfully camp and kitsch that I find it hard to resist and this year was no exception. Predictably our nation came last but that is no surprise considering our entry was woefully boring and outdated by around forty years. Well done the great British public.

Anyway my sugar-coated kitsch highlights were as follows:



Malta - Thea Garrett - My Dream.

I warm towards the Maltese entry as I saw this song qualify whilst in Malta on holiday in February. Sat in our hotel room with a heady choice of 5 channels, it was either that or the Maltese version of Deal Or No Deal which they somehow managed to make last about 4 hours (nothing happened in the whole time we were watching it...) it's enough to drive a man to Cisk!



Greece - Giorgos Alkaios & Friends - OPA!

The song that made the whole of Europe shout OPA! at any given opportunity. Hey!





Estonia - Malcolm Lincoln & Manpower 4 - Siren.

This was a bizarre entry as Estonian Malcolm based his act on the styling and dance moves of Jarvis Cocker, sort of a bit lacking but endearing never the less.




Romania - Paula Seling & Ovi - Playing With Fire.

My personal favourite with something for everyone; Pioneering piano design, excessive pointing, operatic bursts, ill costume choices but all in all infectious and catchy. My vote went to Paula and Ovi and they came third overall.

No comments: