Sunday 17 January 2010

I Have Moved.

So, here I am sat watching The Simpsons in my new house in Oxford. I have moved in with my boyfriend Grundy who chivalrously missed going to see Aston Villa vs West Ham in Birmingham today to help me and I couldn't be more thankful to him. I hate moving; within the last four years I have moved six times and have amassed a scary number of possessions. I have somehow managed to collect over 400 books and those do not include the few hundred that are back in my mum's house. I think it is time to quash this addiction so I have decided not to buy any books until we are at least back from Malta in 6 weeks time. Bring on the cold turkey 'and with gods help I will conquer this terrible affliction' (I can't even stop adding the odd literary reference, thanks Irvine Welsh.)

The worse thing about moving is the packing and unpacking; every time I have moved I have more things to cram into boxes and laundry bags, although, this time I was ruthless and threw away 8 industrial sized bin-sacks of bits of paper, crap magazines, empty whisky bottles and all sorts of other unnecessary items that my cluttered mind has told me to hang onto. As Grundy said at least 50% of my possessions were the books, a scary thought. We loaded the van in London at 9.00 this morning and I used the same van-man as last time, salt of the earth all round lovely chap Van Man Bill and got here at about 11.30, marvelous. As I am sat here writing this I keep glancing over at the pile of stuff in the lounge and I am filled with dread, once it is all safely put away, out of sight and out of mind I will be happy and will sleep easily.

So, thanks London, it was nice while it lasted but I am more than happy to be having a break from the city. They do say however if you are tired of London you are tired of life, which is probably true. I'm not tired of London however, I am more than willing to have the odd day trip but I am not going to miss the extortionate living costs, relentless traffic noise, throngs of people everywhere, the stuffiness of the tube and the general unfriendliness of the city and its inhabitants. I will of course miss the friends I have made but I'm not far away, in-fact I think I am at the perfect distance, not too far and not too near. Thank-you Oxford Tube.

Anyway, I suppose I better show willing and do more tidying. Well, maybe a cup of tea first.

No comments: