Tuesday 12 January 2010

Malta Bound.

It's been on the cards for a while now; here we are in Oxford still very much snowed under (although it is beginning to melt slowly) and we thought it was about time for a holiday. This morning Grundy and I took a short stroll up to the Cowley Centre and spoke to our friendly travel-agent and on 22nd February we shall be flying to Malta for five days in the sun, hurray. I spoke to my friend Clare on the phone the other day and she was very surprised that I would want to holiday somewhere hot; her summation of my personality was as follows:

"Matt Retallick you are the sort of person who aspires to live in a place like Durham and relish visits to dingy museums in the drizzle."


Never a truer word spoken. I usually love winter, I'm all for log fires and cosey nights in with the boyfriend but this year winter has been, well, too wintery. It's been a long cold winter of sparse heating, feet like blocks of ice and snot running down my filtrum. So I have an over-whelming desire to wear nothing but shorts and sunglasses and burn to a crisp (I'm not the sort to tan easily.)

We are going to Sliema and staying in a hotel that is over-looking a crystal blue bay and only five weeks and five days of cold to go before we are there. Grundy has been to Malta four times before so he is a seasoned Maltese traveler but this is my first excursion to Mediterranean climes. I expect to eat seafood by the platter-load, smell of after-sun and gain alcohol related sun-stroke. It wouldn't be a holiday if I didn't.

Expect a tedious stream of the usual holiday snaps on our return, but until then here is a charming picture of where we are staying:

No comments: